Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tennessee Volunteer Grilled Gator Sushi.......(It's Really Shrimp)

So, let's talk about rivalries. My wife (Pregpocalypse) has a distaste for sports, because she always feels bad for the team that loses. I, on the other hand, savour the thrill of victory so much that the threat of the agony of defeat is worth the gamble. I love that feeling of triumph over your adversary. In fact, when I compete at anything, I don't just want to win...I want my opponent to never want to play the game ever again......It's just who I am.
This, of course, makes it very frustrating to be a Tennesse Volunteer fan for the last few years. Tennessee has been on a slump (a very frustrating one, costing a lot of money in coaches' salaries), that has been lowlighted by repeat losses to our arch-nemesis, the University of Florida. Nothing is more frustrating to a Volunteer than to know that that Smug, Boy Scout, Wonder Boy Automaton, Tim Tebow bested my Vols every time he had the chance. Well, guess what, this year, the losing is at an end. I have a feeling the Vols are going to decimate the Gators tomorrow, and in commemoration, I have invented the ultimate UT vs. FL tailgating food, the Grilled Gator Sushi Bite.

Now, of course, the only thing remotely sushi-ish about it is that it looks similar to sushi, but who's keeping score? And,. of course, i couldn't find any actual alligator meat in Charlottesville, so the main protein is Key West Pink Shrimp, but who really cares? The main thing is, part of tailgating fun is to poke fun at your opponent, and I plan on giving the Vols a win, just based off of the awesomeness of my tailgate food. So, You're welcome, University of Tennessee....I'll send you a bill for my services.

Grilled Gator Sushi

For the Marinade
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp Sriracha Chile Sauce (or more, if you are a TRUE Volunteer)
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and then pour over peeled, deveined shrimp and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Take one yellow bell pepper and one hot green pepper (I used a pacillo), and place them on a hot grill, turning frequently until a nice char is present on all sides.
Remove the peppers and allow to cool. Peel off the charred, waxy outer layer of each, and then slice, removing the seeds.

Make the slices of the bell and hot peppers about the same length as the shrimp in the marinade. When ready to assemble, skewer the shrimp, using a flat metal skewer, and place a strip of green and yellow pepper on each side. Wrap tightly with a piece of bacon, and secure in place with a toothpick.
Dunk the entire concoction into the shrimp marinade, and then place onto a hot grill.
Flip the skewer every few minutes until the bacon is browned, and the shrimp inside is opaque and firm. Remove the bundle from the skewer, and remove the toothpick, leaving a perfectly wrapped sushi piece of barbequed Gator meat (shrimp).

Nobody really knows what gator meat tastes like anyway, so might as well proceed like it's the real thing.

In the end, you have an asian flavored, complex tasting, bacon wrapped ball of goodness that looks pretty, is easy to eat with your fingers, and pokes fun at the team you hope to beat. Sounds like the perfect tailgating fare to me. What do you think?

Go Vols!

No comments:

Post a Comment