Monday, September 12, 2011

Thanks, Internets, for Helping Me Make This Baked Potato Fancy...

So. Here we are. I can only assume that, since you are reading this (ha ha ha, I am making a foolish assumption that anyone will read this), that you have at least a rudimentary understanding of the "internet." The "internet" is the program my computer has that is similar to an unreliable encyclopedia. I'm guessing yours has it, too. Some of you, no doubt, are much more experienced than I am, and you will be somewhat less impressed by my wonder and amazement at the "internet"'s many wonders and amazements, but, anon, I will continue, undaunted.

Because my chimp-like brain is incapable of thinking too deeply, or about too many (2) things at once, I find the vast amounts of information, stored in the hundreds of disorganized "pages" to be too overwhelming, so I limit my "serfing" of the "world wide web" to three categories: Food, sports, and correspondence with the exiled Prince of Nigeria, who I have benevolently been supporting through his difficulties with frozen assets in his war-torn former home. We mutually hope to get a resolution soon, and any if he decides to compensate me for my troubles with $10,000,000, then there will be water if God wills it.

Anyways, I have mastered the use of three "vehicles" used to drive the "information super highway." These include The Facebooks (please "like" the Jacked Up Grill on the Facebooks!), The Tweeter (Please "follow" @TheJackedUpGril), and The Pinterest (Please "follow" Justin!).....................It's confession time. I have only the tiniest bit of understanding what any of these things are, what they are useful for, or why someone my age is even using them, but I PRESS ON! Because that's what I do. I muscle through and make the "internet" meet my needs.

The other day, my need was to see pictures of good food. When you want to do this, The Pinterest comes in very handy. If you have the Pinterest, lots of people send you pictures of things you might like. I like food, so I get lots of food pictures. One such picture so captivated my appetite, that in less than 24 hours, even after a long day at work, I had to try and replicate it. That picture was of a baked potato. But not just any baked potato. A fancy baked potato. The Fancy Baked Potato.
photo originally pinned by Sonya Stark
When I saw this picture, it spoke to me. It said "Justin.........if you have a knife....and a potato.....you can have this......" When I get messages like that, which I'm pretty sure come from Steven Seagal, I usually listen, so I investigated.

Luckily, the picture came with a recipe, so it was pretty easy. Apparently this is a Swedish style of baking potatoes, and it is pretty well known. This made me feel a little stupid for not knowing this, when one click of the "google" showed me about ten thousand more pictures of similar potatoes, so it seems like everyone BUT me knew about them, and didn't need Steven Seagal to encourage them. 

ACTUAL RECIPE TIME!!!!!!
AnyCrap, To make these, preheat the oven to 425 degrees, then scrub a russet potato down to clean off any dirt. Then, take a sharp knife, and slice the potato almost all the way through starting at one end, and then working along the length. Make the slices about 1/8 of an inch or less apart.
Then, finely mince 1 clove of garlic, and tuck a little garlic between each slice, all the way across. Then, melt 2 tbsps of butter and brush between each slice, and all over the potato skin. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
****Awesome Variation for the Adventurous!!!******
Earlier this year, I started making greek potatoes, which have garlic, butter and lemon, and which are AWESOME. SO, if you like a little mediterranean flare, then squeeze a lemon over the potato before baking it.
****End of Awesome Variation******
Place potato in the oven for about 1 hour, until skin is crisp and the center of the slices are fork tender.

I was very proud of my finished product, which looked very similar to the Pinterest one, and they tasted ridiculous. How can you go wrong with potatoes, butter and garlic? You can't, that's how. Just ask the "internet." I did. And it confirmed. Thanks, Al Gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment