Sunday, October 23, 2011

The 9 lb 2 oz. Reason I Haven't Posted Lately: Grilled Food, Baking, and Cute Baby Pictures.......

Pregatron/Pregzilla/Pregpocalypse/Preggy Potter/Preglociraptor/Pregasaurus Rex/PregLeg/Preggy McPreggerpants/The Pregsident of the United States/Pregpolean Bonaparte/Preggy Poppins (I just made that last one up just now) has officially changed her callsign back to Amy (My Beautiful Wife whom I adore).
You might have noticed that I haven't been cooking/posting lately. Here's why. Jay Lucas, born September 28 at 12:45am......We don't sleep much. He is healthy, happy, fat, and awesome! With a Newborn and a 17 month old, the 4pm to 8pm time slot at our house is an atmosphere similar to what I imagine the Chernobyl incident to have been like. You know, lots of screaming, running for your lives, nuclear meltdowns, the whole works. Because that WAS my usual experimental grilling time, I haven't had much to write about, and when I have cooked, I haven't had time to write about it. It's been a whirlwind of diapers, crying (mostly me) and more diapers over here.
Luckily, nobody reads any of this, so I don't even feel bad.

I did cook some interesting things that are worth repeating, and in between that, there were lots of cute baby things happening over at our place, so I have prepared the following rapid fire montage of Jacked Up Grillery. Please enjoy.

On Tuesday, Amy said "My belly hurts!"
I said "I swear that chicken was sushi grade!"
She said "No, Stupid. We're having a baby!"
13 hours later, we had this dude


After a lovely three day stay at the new Martha Jefferson Hospital, (where they could use some serious pointers from this blog and others about what food is supposted to taste like) we packed up and headed to the house.


Madness ensued for the next several days, and I can only recall moments of clarity. Everything else was a haze......

After about a week, things calmed down enough to cook something. I went with this


It was Sriracha Shrimp & Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits. Here's the recipe in tiny little pictures.
The recipe in words will be at the end.







And there you have it. You'll never eat better shrimp & grits.

So then Lil Jay and Jack the Lil' Ripper did cute things.
One day, while rocking a baby.....or maybe cleaning up spit up......or maybe getting peed on while changing a diaper........I saw Paula Dean make Brie en Croute....Don't ask me, but it looked delicious.
So I made it.






Then, there were more cute baby things...



And finally, I give you one of my greatest creations.......
The Bacon Cheddar Apple Pie with Bacon Crumble
This one deserves a post of its own, so I stay tuned for it and my other Cville PieFest adventures.

So, in parting, here are some real winners from our session with Jamie Kay of JMK Photography.

I'm too tired to add recipes for the shrimp & grits and the Brie thing, so I'll add them later. Email me if you just can't wait!
I'll be funny next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment